6 Useful Chromebook Hacks- Make Your Chromebook Work Better
Today, we will share with you 6 Chromebook hacks, which can make it easier for you to use your device. No doubt, hacks can undoubtedly increase your productivity and save you a lot of time.
Chromebook devices have become increasingly popular due to the easy interface which they have on offer and the cloud compatibility which they have.
Many professionals and home users these days prefer chrome book to a regular laptop running Windows or Linux. However, even if you have been using chrome book for some time, chances are you are just using a fraction of chrome book functionalities.
The chrome OS consists of many lesser-known functionalities, which can increase your productivity and help you in using the machine in a much better way.
1. Make use of android apps
Chrome OS, as well as the android operating system, both are developed by Google. However, what many chrome book users might not know is you can activate the android store on chrome book to use various android applications. While the functionality might vary when using these apps on android, but they are a great convenience.
The procedure to activate the App Store and install android apps is relatively simple as well. We will go into the details of this procedure below.
- You have to click on the status area from the bottom right of the screen.
- After that, you have to click on the settings icon.
- You can view the Google play store button. Click that button.
- Once you click the button, a new window will open up; you can see the terms of service on which you have to agree.
- After doing so, the play store will open, and the installation procedure for the app is similar to your android device.
Since most of the chrome book users are already familiar with android apps, installing them on your laptop or your device is a great convenience.
2. Pin websites
If you have been using Chrome OS for quite some time, you will be familiar with the shelf. It is one of the best ways to access the apps which you use the most. However, did you know, you can pin websites to the shelf as well?
Yes, the procedure to do so is pretty simple.
- You have to open the website which you want to pin in chrome.
- You have to then click on the three vertical lines to go to the more tools menu.
- It will show you the “Add to shelf” menu, and within this menu, you will get the add option.
- Once you click the add option, the website will get added to the shelf.
It will ensure that instead of opening chrome every time to visit the website, you can click on the site on the shelf, and it will open chrome and website automatically. It can save you a lot of time. Also, you can use this shelf as a bookmark as well, which can help you keep sites handy. Thus, if you visit certain websites frequently and want to bookmark a few websites, this is a convenient way to do so.
3. Use Voice dictation to your advantage
Another lesser-known feature of chrome book is that it offers voice dictation as well. Did you know about that?
With the help of voice dictation, you can dictate your notes or documents rather than typing them. It will not only save you a lot of time but also make it easy for you to type lengthy documents.
We will go into the step-by-step procedure of how you can activate voice typing below.
- You will have to open a Google docs word document.
- After that, you have to click on the Tools menu and select voice typing.
- You will notice that the new window opens up on the left with the microphone button.
- When you’re ready to dictate, you have to click the microphone and start dictating.
While this feature might be a bit slow, but it can certainly take the strain away from typing documents.
4. Reset your Chromebook anytime
Many users often prefer to wipe their devices from time to time. It certainly speeds up the device. Chrome book offers you an easy way to do so. It provides the Powerwash feature, which can help you in wiping all the data and resetting it. This little feature is known to very few chrome book users. The advantage of this feature is that unlike the formatting process in a regular machine, it is speedy and, therefore, can help you in wiping off the data in a jiffy.
- You have to select the status area from the bottom right of the screen.
- You have to after that, click on the settings button.
- You have to scroll to the bottom and select advanced settings.
- Under advanced settings, you have to choose the Powerwash option from the Reset settings section.
It will wipe out all the data to reset your Chromebook. After that, you can sign in to your Google account to configure your Chromebook as per your requirement from scratch.
5. Schedule night light
Laptops, whether they are Windows-based or chrome OS based, have the blue light. Blue light can interfere with your sleeping patterns. It is especially true for individuals who spend long hours on the laptop. However, Chromebook offers you the option to schedule night light as well. It will limit your exposure to blue light and also ensure that you get a good night’s sleep irrespective of the time for which you use the Chromebook.
The best thing about Chromebook is that it not only provides you the option to toggle between night light and regular light but also allows you to schedule the same. We will highlight the procedure below to schedule night light.
- You have to go to the status area from the bottom right of the screen.
- You have to select the settings button.
- You have to go to the Device section and then click on display.
- Under the nightlight option, you will get the choice to toggle and activate it, or you can click on the schedule button to gain access to the drop-down menu. The drop-down menu allows you to select options from sunset to sunrise or even customize the time during which the nightlight is active.
Thus, this little hack ensures that irrespective of your time on Chromebook, you do not suffer from extensive exposure to blue light, and you can get a good night’s sleep.
6. Get a list of all the keyboard shortcuts
Whether you’re using a Windows laptop, Linux laptop, or Chromebook, there are always a few keyboard shortcuts that can make your life easier. However, the question is how to find out about such keyboard shortcuts?
If you keep on searching for them on the Internet time and again, it can take a long time to find all of them. Moreover, you cannot do so always.
Fortunately, Chromebook has a little hack that allows you to access all the keyboard shortcuts which it supports.
All you need to do is to press Ctrl + Alt + ?. Doing so will provide you with a visual list of all the shortcuts which you can use. It will also help you understand the functions of various keys. Thus, you will not have to search for shortcuts on the Internet or anywhere else. You can find all of them anytime on your machine itself.
So, do you use your Chromebook a lot?
If yes, these Chromebook hacks can undoubtedly help you out. These are suitable for not just Chromebook fans but also for first-time users. You can make your Chromebook work faster and better for you with these Chromebook hacks.