How to get Steam on Chromebook in 2020?
Steam is an online gaming platform that distributes games for purchase and download.
But wait, there is a snag: the only computer you’ve got is a Chromebook, and you aren’t sure if Chromebook will work with Steam. The question is: How to get Steam on Chromebook?
The good news is this article will walk you through how to get Steam on Chromebook, some easy-to-understand Methods. Choose Your Preferred Method and Just follow the steps along.
#1: Getting Steam with Linux Application Support
This is a three step method which laid out in easy to follow Instructions:
Step 1: Enabling Linux Beta
- Make sure that either your Chromebook is charging, or is charged already so that you don’t make the catastrophic error of losing power midway through your download. Starting the whole process over again is time consuming and discouraging. It may sound silly, but the number of times this happens to people is shocking, and you don’t want to be among those who suffer this miserable setback. Don’t forget- downloading software uses up the battery at a much faster rate than normal.
- In order to download Steam on your Chromebook, you will need to activate the Linux support application on your device.
- If you are unfamiliar with Linux, it is a type of operating system that can be run on your Chromebook using a recently added feature called Linux Beta. If you have a Chromebook built before 2018, this might be a difficult and technical process but assuming you have a nice, new 2020 Chromebook, activating Linux (beta)will be very easy.
- All you will need to do is go into the settings menu, which can be accessed through the system tray on your Chromebook. From there, scroll down to “Linux (Beta)” and use the “Turn On” button.
- This will open up a new window that will allow you to set up Linux. From there, click the “Install” button. When the installation is complete, it is time to move on to the next step.
Step 2: Enabling GNU Acceleration
You will need to enable your GPU to run at accelerated speeds in order to make the best use of the computer’s power when running games on Steam.
In order to do this, you will need to open up your Chrome browser, and go to chrome://flags/#crostini-gpu-support . Then, enable the flag. A flag is a piece of software that isn’t part of your browser when you buy your computer but are easy to set up and use. After that, your computer will ask you to restart to finish the process, so restart it at this time.
Then, launch your Linux terminal on your Chromebook and run the following commands..
- “sudo apt-get update” command, followed by a “Sudo apt-get upgrade” command.
- Next, restart your computer again to ensure the full operation of the Linux terminal.
- Open the terminal and run the command “glxinfo -B”.S Then, look for “Device: virgl” in your terminal log. This means that your GPU is now able to run at an accelerated speed. You can now move on with the process.
Step 3: Installing Steam
In the Linux Terminal, input the following series of commands:
# echo ‘deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib
non-free’ | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
# sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386
# sudo apt update
# sudo apt install steam
These commands will allow you to download Steam in a format that is usable by the Linux terminal on your Chromebook. This stream of instructions may seem confusing to read, but when you are looking at your computer with your Linux terminal running, it will start to make sense very quickly.
Here is a visual walk through for the easiest steam installation experience
Then follow all three remaining commands one after one, until you get here with the last command´s execution.
As it shows is a steam license agreement, just follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
These are all the images for your successful steam installation.
Linux is easy to use, so don’t be afraid of the instructions above, even though they look confusing. Trust yourself to get it right. When you have finished this series of instructions, simply type ‘steam’ into the terminal in order to run the program.
Hint: This is my preferred method for a seamless steam experience on my Chromebook.
#2: Getting Steam Using CrossOver
If the above method does not work for some guys, as it involves the command line, Linux VM, and all this technical stuff. then you can use crossover emulator which allows running almost all kinds of windows based applications on Chrome OS.
It’s very easy to install and access your Steam gaming platform on your beloved Chromebook. you just need to follow these simple steps:
- Go over google play and download CrossOver.
- Search and Install Steam from the crossover app dashboard, you will first need to download it from the site and store it on your Chromebook.
- Select the path and run the .exe file from the crossover´s dashboard. once installed, it will show here as a Windows App.
- Launch Steam and login to your steam account or create new one.Now you just need to add your games of choice and your friends and family to enjoy the steam gaming environment and community.
If the Steam screen is too small for good viewing, go into Steam and follow this pathway: Steam => Settings => Interface, and then check the box that allows text and icons to be enlarged based on screen size. Then, close Steam and restart it, and the sizing of the text should be appropriate.
Once Steam has been downloaded to your Chromebook, and you have adjusted the text and icon size, you can start setting up your Steam account.
You will need to provide a username and password. Since you want to play games via Steam, you will also be required to provide payment information so that your purchases may be correctly billed.
You will need to create a profile and then make at least 1 purchase in order to begin searching for your friend’s profile on Steam.
This is done to ensure that Steam remains a gaming platform rather than (primarily) a social network. Once this is done, find the game your friend wants to play, purchase it, and download it.
Once downloaded, you can either access the game from your computer’s desktop or from your Steam library, whichever seems more convenient to you.
Congratulations- you have now opened up a whole new world of gaming that you can explore and enjoy. Despite the somewhat challenging path it took to get to this moment.
You should pat yourself on the back- after all, getting Linux set up on your Chromebook wasn’t easy, but you did it. And, you answered the question how to get Steam on Chromebook. Well done! Enjoy gaming with your cousin- you put in the work and now you deserve to enjoy the benefits.
So here you are hopefully with your Steam gaming platform up and running,we encourage you to share in comments with readers which method worked for you and what is your preferred method to get steam on your chromebook.
In case ,you need help you may ask in comments below as well.