How Useful Is a Chromebook Offline?
There’s a lot of ways that a Chromebook can be utilized while offline, contrary to what many believe. It is not necessary to have a high powered, expensive, and complex piece of computing device, to have something useful.
Chromebooks are seen as a little useless offline because a lot of their features do depend on being online. However, that is not entirely true. Much like a normal desktop setup or notebook, they can’t do much either offline if the user isn’t prepared for it.
we are sure you have been in a situation where you were using your desktop, your internet goes out, and if you didn’t have programs that didn’t rely on the internet, it became a big paperweight.
Chromebooks aren’t too different in that regard. you just need to prepare your Chromebook ahead of time, to make them of utmost useful to you even offline
How To Prepare Your Chromebook?
Fortunately, Google saw this is a potential problem from Chromebook users so apps such as Google Drive/Sheets/Slides and Gmail can be set to be usable offline.
For those of you that use your Chromebook for work, that can really come in handy. It is as simple as –
- For Gmail, locate the Gear Icon that can usually be found on the Top Right Hand Corner of your screen.
- Click that icon, a Pop Up Menu should come up, from there, you Click on “Settings”.
- That will pull up a page that will initially show you general information linked to your email.
- At the Top of all the information, you will see a word that says “Settings”, underneath that you will also see a Navigation tab, look for the “Offline” tab and Click it.
- From there you will be asked if you would like to “Enable Offline Email”, click the box next to it. That will enable it.
- Lastly, there will be more options beneath it that will appear, from there you will just have to click on the boxes that are according to what you desire. Once you’ve selected the options that best fit your needs, Click on the “Save Changes” box that will be located beneath the options.
- For Google Drive, a very similar process minus some steps. Find the Gear Icon that is usually locatedon the Top Right Hand of your screen.
- Click that icon, and a similar menu will appear as the Gmailone.
- Click on settings, and that will bring up a menu.
- A list of information will appear. Now rather than looking through the navigation tab on the left hand side, you will see a block of information next to the word “Offline”.
- Click the Box that is next to the information that says “Create, open and edit your recent Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files on this Device while offline.”
- You’re now ready to use Google Drive, Google Sheets, and Google Slides. There isn’t a Save Changes box to click on, once you see that the box has a check in it. It saved automatically.
For files that you have already created in your Google Drive that you would like to access while offline.
- Make sure you’re on the Homepage of Google Drive, where you see the list of files that you have made.
- Move your Cursor Over the desired file.
- Right Click the file. A menu will pop up.
- Find the option that says “Available Offline” and Click it.
- You are now able to use that file while offline.
This is just one aspect of preparing your Chromebook for offline use. There are other alternatives such as going to the Google Play store. In the store, you can look for Apps that will still be usable while offline. Doing this will allow you to be able to substitute a need for you, that previously required the internet.
By utilizing Apps on your chromebook, it will help you make the most of your chromebook. Making up in the areas that it is lacking, compared to other devices. There are many services out there such as Netflix and Youtube to name a couple, that offer offline services. Such as being able to download movies and shows from Netflix, and videos from Youtube.
Chromebooks may be simple and admittedly limiting, however there are workarounds to these issues that can turn a potential cheap product into a useful one.
What do you think?
These are just a few examples of how they can be used offline. Chromebooks having access to the Google Play store opens the door to let them be useful for many things. Things like graphic design, reading, video games, etc.
Obviously you’ll have to take the steps necessary for some apps like graphic design, and already have the pics you need. Or making the games you downloaded can be played without the internet, etc. You get the point.
They’re also lightweight and compact so they aren’t a chore to take around with you or to put away. Everyone does have their own taste though, and many do see Chromebooks as not worth it.
You’ve seen some of the examples that have been laid out, so in the end, it’s what you’re comfortable with using and relying on. If now a Chromebook seems more viable to you, then look into them. They are for the most part inexpensive and as you can see reliable.
Especially if you’re someone that travels a lot and you don’t want to take up any extra space with your notebook, a Chromebook is something worth looking into.
A Chromebook made it really efficient and easy to travel and still wanted to keep up with work. It has more than enough potential to be very useful to you as long as your needs are within reason of what a Chromebook can handle, spec-wise.